How Advisement Works
At ASCAS, we believe that advising is a partnership between you and your advisor, and that our office is part of a support network with other campus centers.
We do not tell you what to do, but help you navigate through UNM to reach your goals at your individual pace.
Your Academic Advisor Can Help You...
- Make a plan for your undergraduate education and beyond
- Develop skills to grow and refine your educational goals and plans
- Figure out which classes to take next
- Utilize research or departmental opportunities in your degree plan
- Balance the different requirements of a UNM degree so you can graduate in a timeline that works for you
- Understand the purpose of your degree and how it will fit into your overall career
- Connect you with on-campus resources to help you build academic, career, emotional, and cultural support systems
- Guide you when you are unsure of your next step
We do not require many visits from you, as we believe that your relationship with your advisor should be defined by you. We do suggest you meet with your advisor at least once a semester to continue to learn more about your options at UNM and build a relationship with your advisor, but you determine the topics discussed in your advisement sessions.
Your Responsibilities as a Student
- Ask questions when you don't understand and clarify your needs when something doesn't work for you
- Read your UNM email at least once a day, and take the appropriate action when needed
- Open your mind to recommendations, new opportunities, and exploration
- Familiarize yourself with key University resources and websites
- Meet with your advisors on a regular basis