Health, Medicine & Human Values (BA/MD Program)
The Combined BA / MD Degree Program is highly selective and requires its own application in addition to the standard UNM application. Students must apply the fall semester of their senior year in high school.
BA / MD application information
The Health, Medicine, and Human Values (HMHV) minor is available to all A&S and University College students at UNM.
This program offers a unique perspective on practicing medicine, offering curriculum required by the prestigious BA/MD program to the wider undergraduate community. It is a great opportunity for students looking for a well-defined pre-health undergraduate curriculum, as it prepares students interested in pursuing a variety of careers in health and medicine, such as public health, medicine, and health policy.
Students get a strong foundation in a broad range of health care issues (including social determinants, disparities, cultural competence, and medical ethics) relevant to the specific circumstances of New Mexico, as well as the national and global context of medicine and health today.
The classes are interdisciplinary seminars that provide opportunities for experiential and problem-based learning, applied writing and speaking, and small-group problem-solving. The seminars involve collaborative teaching with faculty from the School of Medicine and the College of Arts and Sciences. They are designed with pre-health students in mind, but are open to any interested student.
Programs of Study
- B.A. Health, Medicine and Human Values - Biomedical Sciences (BA/MD students only)
- B.A. Health, Medicine and Human Values - Health, Humanities and Society (BA/MD students only)
- Health, Medicine and Human Values (open to A&S and University College majors)
- Undergraduate Academic Advisor(s):
Advisor office locations vary. Please click on your advisor's name below to learn more.
- Bryn McCabe-Kelly (email@example.com)
- Olivia McClendon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Department Email:
- Department Location:
- UAEC (University Advisement and Enrichment Center, Bldg 85), Suite 135